US to increase duties on imported Chinese goods
Washington accuses Beijing of "reneging" obligations after recent negotiations
/NOVOSTIVL/ Washington’s chief negotiator on Monday accused Beijing’s trade negotiators of "reneging" on a number of commitments during recently concluded discussions in Beijing, and confirmed that the US will increase tariffs on billions of dollars of Chinese imports this week. This article appeared in the Reuters.
Speaking a day after US President Donald Trump announced the surprise move to increase import duties, which had been frozen as part of a truce brokered by both sides in December, US Trade Representative (USTR) Robert Lighthizer said that the US was not breaking off talks with China, and that negotiations planned for this week in Washington would go ahead.
Chinese Vice-Premier Liu He, who has been leading the negotiations on the Chinese side, was still expected to be part of the delegation that will arrive in Washington on Thursday for talks, Lighthizer told reporters in a briefing.
"The Trade Deal with China continues, but too slowly, as they attempt to renegotiate. No!" Trump said on Sunday, adding that tariffs on the US$325 billion of Chinese imports not currently subject to punitive duties would also be subject to 25 per cent tariffs "shortly".