Head of Huawei: Even if the U.S. asks us to manufacture over there, we will not go
Ren Zhenghei said they would not accept US conditions, as ZTE did
/NOVOSTIVL/ Huawei founder and CEO Ren Zhenghei has claimed that the Chinese company does not need chips from U.S. companies and that the Donald Trump government's restrictions will have little impact on growth. This article appeared in The Korean Times.
Speaking to Japanese media at Huawei's headquarters in Shenzhen, Saturday, Ren said his company would be "fine" even if Qualcomm or other U.S. suppliers stopped providing chips.
"We have already been preparing for this," Ren was quoted as saying. "Huawei's growth may slow, but only slightly."
The U.S. government said Huawei, one of China's biggest exporters, poses a major spying risk to the country and its allies ― an accusation the Chinese government has called "groundless." The U.S. government's similar ban on China's ZTE last year pushed the company to the brink of bankruptcy.
"We will not change our management at the request of the U.S. or accept monitoring, as ZTE has done," Ren said. He claimed the U.S. government is damaging its credibility by threatening its partners.
Speaking of the prospect of producing 5G equipment in the U.S., Ren added, "Even if the U.S. asks us to manufacture over there, we will not go."