US rules out nuclear weapons transfer to South Korea
Conservative groups in South Korea renewed calls for their own nuclear weapons
/NOVOSTIVL/ A senior US defense official on Monday ruled out the possibility of redeploying nuclear weapons to South Korea to counter North Korea's nuclear threat. This article appeared in The Korea Herald.
Undersecretary of Defense for Policy John Rood made the remark at a forum in Washington as conservative groups in South Korea have renewed calls for the country's own nuclear armament.
"We have no current plans to return nuclear weapons to the Korean Peninsula, those that were withdrawn a couple of decades ago, and that's not under discussion today," - he told a forum at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.
Rood also reaffirmed the US' commitment to implementing last year's summit agreement signed in June between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
"The United States remains ready to take simultaneous and parallel actions on all commitments that Chairman Kim and President Trump have agreed to at the Singapore summit," - he said, with the two sides expected to resume working-level denuclearization negotiations in the coming weeks.